How long will smashed finger be swollen?
The fingertip will usually stay a little bit swollen permanently, but it should not interfere with function. It will take longer than you think is reasonable, about six to twelve months, for the swelling to go down as much as it will.
How do you make the swelling go down on a smashed finger?
An ice pack or a cold compress can help reduce swelling and help with pain management. Have the ice pack on the finger for 15 minutes at a time before taking it off. Repeat the process after a few minutes have passed. Intervals like this help prevent frostbite.
What should I do if I jammed my finger in a door?
- Apply ice for 15 minutes each hour to bring down the swelling. If you don’t have ice, you can soak the finger in cold water instead.
- Keep your finger elevated above chest level.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) to ease any discomfort.
When should I go to the doctor for a smashed finger?
Speak with a doctor or nurse if your smashed finger causes extreme pain or involves more than just the fingertip. You should also seek medical help if: you can’t straighten your finger. the finger is noticeable bent or crooked.
Is it too late to fix broken finger?
A broken finger or thumb usually heals within 2 to 8 weeks, but it can take longer. It may be 3 to 4 months before full strength returns to your hand. Once it’s healed, use your finger or thumb as normal. Moving it will stop it getting stiff.
What to do when you smash your fingernail and it turns black?
Immediate First Aid
- Ice it. Use an ice pack to reduce pain and swelling. …
- Elevate it. 2 Letting your hand dangle at your side after smashing your finger will simply increase swelling and that uncomfortable throbbing. …
- Use it. …
- Take a pain reliever.
How do you tell if smashed finger is broken?
However, there are a few particularly telltale signs that point to a fracture:
- The fracture site is very swollen.
- The affected finger appears unnatural or deformed.
- The fracture site is tender and bruised.
- You have difficulty moving the affected finger completely.
Will Epsom salt help a smashed finger?
Epsom salt can help reduce pain and swelling. Soak your swollen fingertip for 15 to 20 minutes in warm or cool water mixed with Epsom salt.