Why do doors swell in winter?
The moisture expands the wood, making your doors too tight in their frames. In the winter, humidity levels are usually lower, because cooler air cannot hold as much moisture. If you have better luck with these doors in the cooler months, it’s simply because environmental factors are not causing them to swell.
How do you make a door airtight?
Weatherstripping materials are among your best bets for creating airtight seals.
- Lift the door gently using the door knob to check for loose hinges. …
- Measure the length and width of your door for weatherstripping installation. …
- Install weatherstripping materials to seal your door and reduce drafts.
How do you winterize an old door?
How to Winterize Your Home’s Doors and Windows
- Check your window panes and storm windows for cracks and replace any that are damaged.
- Install those storm windows (and doors) if they aren’t installed year-round.
- Caulk around your windows (or apply rope caulk), especially anyplace you notice a breeze slipping in.